This program develops and enhances the professional skills and abilities of Virginia educators for the protection of the environment; it can serve as a roadmap for developing skills needed to teach about the environment.
Once enrolled in the Environmental Educators Leadership Program, participants will receive:
Free professional training opportunities
Access to state sponsored resources and events
Tools for self-assessment
Resources for developing professional learning communities
Who can benefit from participating in the leadership program?
Both new and experienced educators, from public and private organizations, can benefit from this program because:
- Educators can use this guide to expand abilities and leverage resources through participation in a professional learning community.
- Use this program will allow organizations to consistently train new staff and will provide an outline for professional development and growth.
- This framework supports delivery of standards-based environmental education material.
What are the levels of recognition?
Direct education providers include museum educators, park interpreters, summer camp counselors, and teacher-naturalist; direct educators would most likely fulfill the requirements for recognition as an Educator.
For educators with more experience in instruction and content, who lead trainings for classroom or other non-formal educators. This includes recognition for those who participate in statewide EE programs such as Project WET, WILD, PLT and Underground and become certified as facilitators.
For those with significant experience leading direct education activities and presentations, and who have been certified as facilitators in several environmental education (EE) programs. EE Leaders often lead sessions at local, state, and national conferences and spend more time training future educators.
How do I receive recognition as an Educator, Advanced Educator, or Environmental Education Leader?
Follow these 4 steps:
- Submit an application and download an Education Profile.
- Follow the instructions to complete the Profile and submit to the EELP Coordinator
- Wait to receive confirmation of your profile and respond to any questions the EELP Coordinator may have about your application.
- Receive a recognition certificate at a scheduled Virginia Resource-Use Education Council meeting.
Please contact David Ruble at email@example.com if you have additional questions.