On behalf of the State Air Pollution Control Board, DEQ's Air Division is responsible for carrying out the mandates of the Virginia Air Pollution Control Law, as well as meeting Virginia's federal obligations under the Clean Air Act.
The Air Division's programs protect and enhance public health and the environment by controlling present and future sources of air pollution. The division ensures the safety and quality of the air in Virginia by monitoring and analyzing air quality data, regulating sources of air pollution, and working with local, state and federal agencies to plan and implement strategies to protect Virginia’s air quality.
The state’s air quality programs develop and implement regulations, policy, and guidance, and pursue necessary enforcement actions, to ensure that the provisions of the Virginia Air Pollution Control Law and the Commonwealth’s responsibilities under the federal Clean Air Act are met.
- Developing and implementing programs designed to ensure that Virginia meets national air quality standards.
- Regulating the emission of air pollutants from industries and facilities by issuing and ensuring compliance with permits that set limits that protect public health.
- Monitoring Virginia's air quality.
- Investigating complaints and violations of Virginia's air quality laws.
- Developing state rules governing air quality standards.