All requests for information from our clearinghouse must be submitted to Virginia SARA Title III Program Office or to Virginia DEQ Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Office. We prefer that when making a request through the SARA office, the following information be provided. Upon complete reception of the information, this office will notify you within three working days on the status of the release of requested information.
- A written request (preferred but not mandatory) with appropriate corporate/business letterhead, if applicable. Please include a business name, phone number, fax number, and a physical mailing address (no PO Box address). Please also include your name and occupational title as well as the name and phone number of your supervisor/Manager/Director who have knowledge of and responsibility for this request.
- If this is a personal request, please provide it in writing (preferred but not mandatory) including your social security number, physical mailing address (no PO Box number), day-time phone where you can be reached, and working driver's license number and the state that issued it.
- Please list the exact jurisdiction, facility name and correct address, or certain zipcode coverage area for your request. Information requests must be facility based. Information requests such as for "surrounding area", "within radius of", "within the community/subdivision/school district of", etc. are not acceptable requests.
- Please indicate the reporting year(s) for which you are seeking the information. This office maintains Sections 302 and 304 records for reporting years 1997-2001, Tier II records for reporting years 1997-2000, and TRI records for reporting years 1997-2000.
- Please indicate the purpose of the request and the use of the information.
- If a charge is to be assessed for the request, we will notify you first and gain your agreement to continue with the request process. We would need the payment in full prior to releasing the information to you.
It is our Agency policy to charge for staff time greater than 1/2 hour and/or copies made greater than 50 pages. Average charge for the SARA Title III Program staff time is $12.50 per half hour and $0.10 per page. Upon receipt of your request, we will let you know whether a charge will be assessed and how much it will be.
You may also visit our office to review the files personally or contact us for alternative sources for the same information. Charge for copying over 50 pages will be assessed at the end of the visit.
The Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requires a response within five (5) days from the reception of a request originated by an entity (citizen/business/community) of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
This office will respond to information requests that originate outside Virginia as resources permit.
Regulated community is encouraged to call this office for technical assistance with respect to its own facility.
Go to SARA Title III Program Contacts
DEQ Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Office Contact:
To request records from DEQ, you may direct your request to the department's FOIA Officer, Diana Adams. She can be reached by mail at the Department of Environmental Quality, P.O. Box 3000, Harrisonburg, VA 22801; by email at Diana.Adams@deq.virginia.gov ; by fax at 540-574 7878; and by phone at 540-574-7886.