Certification Year 2008 for the Northern Virginia Auto Body Shop Self-Certification Program
DEQ developed this workbook to serve as facilities' primary reference to successfully participate in the Auto Body Self-Certification Program. The workbook provides information on environmental compliance requirements as well as best practices. The workbook is designed to be in plain English, easy to use, and self-directed. The workbook should be used along with the self-certification checklist.
The workbook can help auto body/collision repair shops to understand their environmental requirements. It also provides information on industry best management practices that can help shops to save materials and reduce waste, save money, enhance worker health and safety, and improve quality.
At the beginning of October 2007, DEQ mailed registration forms, workbooks, information about the Program, and workshop invitations to known auto body/collision repair shops in Northern Virginia. Please let us know if you do not receive a workbook or if you are in need of this information.
Instructions - please read this!
Registration Form (PDF and Word)
Program Participation Form
Compliance Assistance Workbook:
Section 1: Best Practices
Section 2: Air Pollution
Section 3: Hazardous Waste
Section 4: Universal Waste and Used Oil
Section 5: Solid Waste
Section 6: Water Pollution
1. Estimating Your Shop’s Air Emissions and Determining Your Shop’s Air Emission Status
2. Hazardous Waste Identification Assistance Table
3. Hazardous Waste Identification Worksheet
4. Hazardous Waste Accumulation Area Weekly Inspection Checklist
5. Uniform Hazardous Waste Manifest - visit EPA's site to learn about this requirement
6. Sample Letters to Local Authorities
7. Hazardous Waste Emergency List
8. Sample Emergency Preparedness Tools
9. Sample Emergency Plan
10. Land Disposal Restriction Form
11. List of Recyclers for Fluorescent Lamps and Ballasts
12. 13. Small Business Environmental Compliance Assistance Fund
13. Online Resources
Return to main page for Auto Body Shop Self-Certification Program.
Also see Resources for Auto Body/Collision Repair web page.