Fiscal Year 2012 CELCP Funding:
In May 2011, Virginia CZM Program submitted three proposals to NOAA to compete for FY 2012 funding under the national CELCP. The three projects are:
- Lynnhaven Oyster Restoration and Protection
- Virginia Eastern Shore Land Protection: Beaches, Marshes, Dunes, and Migratory Bird Habitat
- Scotland Landing - King William County
Virginia’s three CELCP applications ranked well in the 2012 competition. From a total of 34 national applications, Virginia Eastern Shore Land Protection: Beaches, Marshes, Dunes and Migratory Bird Habitat ranked 5th; Virginia Beach Lynnhaven Oyster Restoration and Estuary Protection ranked 10th and Scotland Landing, King William County ranked 13th. However, there was not enough funding from Congress to support more than the top ranked projects.
Fiscal Year 2010 CELCP Funding:
In September 2009, the Virginia CZM Program submitted the following two projects for the national CELCP funding competition. These projects did not receive funding.
- Southern Tip of Virginia’s Eastern Shore: $1.5 million to acquire 318 acres on the Southern Tip of Virginia's Eastern Shore, submitted to the Virginia CZM Program by the DCR Division of Natural Heritage.
- Blackwater River: $600,000 to conserve a 1,980 acre forested tract in the Blackwater River watershed of southeastern Virginia, submitted to Virginia CZM Program by Isle of Wight County.
Fiscal Year 2009 CELCP Funding:
In June 2008, the Virginia Coastal and Estuarine Land Conservation Program (CELCP) Evaluation Committee reviewed and scored four CELCP proposals received by the Virginia CZM Program. Using the scoring criteria defined in the Virginia CELCP Plan, the committee selected and submitted the following three proposals to NOAA for the national CELCP funding competition.
The Crow's Nest Project received $3 million in funding, however Congressional appropriations for the CELCP were not high enough to fund the Southern Tip and Blackwater river projects.
Projects Not funded:
- Southern Tip of Virginia’s Eastern Shore: $1.5 million to acquire 50 acres near Pond Drain and so it can revert to migratory songbird stopover habitat in Northampton County, submitted by the DCR Division of Natural Heritage.
- Blackwater River: $600,000 to conserve 2,500 acres of bottomland hardwood swamp and upland forest along the Blackwater River in Isle of Wight County, submitted by TNC and Isle of Wight County.
Fiscal Year 2008 CELCP Funding:
In Fall 2006, three proposals were submitted to NOAA for the national competitive process, however Congressional appropriations for the CELCP were not high enough to fund Virginia's projects.
Fiscal Year 2007 CELCP Funding:
Virginia CZM submitted three proposals to NOAA for the national competitive process, however Congressional appropriations for the CELCP were not high enough to fund Virginia's projects.
Fiscal Year 2006 CELCP Funding:
Virginia CZM received CELCP funds for an acquisition on the ---
Fiscal Year 2005 CELCP Funding:
Virginia CZM received CELCP funds for acquisition and easements in the ---
- Potomac Gorge (Northern Virginia)
- Dragon Run Watershed (Middle Peninsula)
For comments or questions concerning this program's web pages, contact Virginia Witmer.This website is provided by the Virginia Coastal Zone Management Program through a federal Coastal Zone Management Act grant from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, US Department of Commerce.