Hampton Roads Planning District Commission
Coastal Technical Assistance Program
Project Description as Proposed:
Assist 16 member local governments, other public entities and private organizations on coastal and other environmental issues. The HRPDC will perform the following:
- Regional Coordination Process. The coordination process involves all 16 member cities and counties and associated towns, 5 Soil and Water Conservation Districts, the Hampton Roads Sanitation District and several state and federal agencies. It addresses Core Elements of the VCZMP, Chesapeake Bay Program and Albemarle-Pamlico National Estuarine Program. Specifically addresses CBPA implementation, wetlands, public access, environmental regulations, conservation planning and coastal energy issues. Includes participation in the Coastal PDC Committee and the Coastal Policy Team.
- Environmental Impact Review. Review/comment on EIA/EIS and Coastal Consistency Determinations/Certifications affecting Hampton Roads, including coordination of local response.
- Public Information & Education. Maintain the Hampton Roads Review Blog. Presentations will be made on request. Monthly status reports and briefings to HRPDC Commission.
- Training. Conduct four training programs/activities for local governments. Possible topics include, environmental codes, LID, wetlands training, CBPA implementation, the Chesapeake Bay-wide TMDL, stormwater regulations, land conservation and funding opportunities, conservation planning and energy issues.
- Regional Technical Studies. Policy and technical analysis of environmental and coastal issues. Specific study to be determined in cooperation with local governments. Potential topicsinclude revisiting issues associated with the SWAMP, sea level rise, energy policy and planning, and Chesapeake Bay Program issues. Continue coordination with state and other PDCs on Coastal Integration Strategy and related initiatives.
- Technical Assistance. Provide updated information and help to localities in comprehensive plan and ordinance updates and on environmental issues.
Jay McBride - 757.420.8300; firstname.lastname@example.org
10/1/2011 - 9/30/2012
Final Product Received:
Project Summary Provided by Grantee:
Disclaimer: This project summary provides the federal dollars initially awarded to the grantee. Due to underexpenditure or reprogramming of grant funds, this figure may change. For more information on the allocation of coastal grant funds, please contact Laura McKay, Virginia Coastal Program Manager, at 804.698.4323 or email: Laura.McKay@deq.virginia.gov
A more detailed Scope of Work for this project is available. Please direct your request for a copy to Virginia.Witmer@deq.virginia.gov