Application for a Transporter Permit
Transporter Permit Application Requirements
Who Must Apply
Any person or commercial business who intends to transport hazardous waste shipments that originate or terminate in Virginia.
Virginia Waste Management Act, Virginia Code § 10.1-1426
Federal Regulations 40 CFR 263
Virginia Administrative Code 9 VAC 20-60-263 and 9 VAC 20-60-420 through 9 VAC 20-60-500.
The term of the permit is 10 years from the effective date.
In-state company -- $140
Out-of-state company -- $210
Typical Requirements of a Permit
- Compliance with all federal and state hazardous waste management and hazardous materials transportation regulations, to include placarding of transportation vehicles, and manifest accounting procedures that are designed to track the waste from the generator to the transporter to final disposal.
- Submit appropriate permit application fee and, if applicable, financial assurance documents.
- Preparedness of drivers and handlers to respond correctly to a spill incident, and proper warnings, cleanup and reporting should a spill occur.
- The application requires personal certification that the applicant has the ability to provide hazardous waste transport services consistent with Virginia hazardous waste management regulations.
- EPA identification number assigned to the business.
Contact DEQ Central Office (Richmond) - Division of Land Protection and Revitalization.