Who Must Apply
Any owner or operator of facilities for the collection, processing and recovery of materials from non-hazardous solid waste.
Virginia Code § 10.1-1408.1
Virginia Administrative Code 9 VAC 20-81-400 through 9 VAC 20-81-600
Permit fees for all solid waste facilities are specified in 9 VAC 20-90-10 et seq.
Typical Requirements of a Permit
- Facilities must conform to the siting requirements of 9 VAC 20-81-320, design and construction requirements of 9 VAC 20-81-330.D., operation requirements of 9 VAC 20-81-340.D., recordkeeping requirements of 9 VAC 20-81-350, and closure requirements of 9 VAC 20-81-360.
- Submission of the Solid Waste Information and Assessment (SWIA) 50-25 Form in accordance with 9 VAC 20-81-80 by March 31st of each year. This form can be completed online .
- The facility is responsible for paying an annual fee to the Department of Environmental Quality by October 1st of each year in accordance with 9 VAC 20-90-115 and Table 4.1 of 9 VAC 20-90-130.
- Facilities must comply with the Financial Assurance Regulations for Solid Waste Facilities (9 VAC 20-70-10 et seq.).
- Contact DEQ Regional Office - Land Protection Program Manager.
- Notify the Director of intent to operate such a facility and provide documentation required by 9 VAC 20-81-450.B.
- Provide certification that facility meets siting standards of 9 VAC 20-81-320.B.
- Provide certification that the facility has an operations manual that meets the standards of 9 VAC 20-81-340.D. The operations manual is to be maintained in the facility's operating record in accordance with 9 VAC 20-81-485
- Provide certification from a Professional Engineer that facility has been designed and constructed in accordance with standards of 9 VAC 20-81-330.D.
- Provide certification from a Professional Engineer that facility has a closure plan that meets the requirements of 9 VAC 20-81-360. The closure plan is to be maintained in the facility's operating record.
- Provide documentation demonstrating the applicant has legal control over the site.
- Provide certification from the State Corporation Commission that the owner and operator is a valid business entity and in good standing. This is not required for units solely owned by governmental units.
- Provide a closure cost estimate and proof of financial responsibility in accordance with 9 VAC 20-70-10 et seq.
- Submit results of the public participation effort conducted in accordance with the requirements of 9 VAC 20-81-410.A.3.
- For facilities engaged in reclamation of petroleum-contaminated materials, provide proof that the facility has a permit issued in accordance with the regulations promulgated by the State Air Pollution Control Board; and a description of how the requirements of 9VAC20-81-660 will be met.
- Submit applicable permit fees under the provisions of 9 VAC 20-90-10 et seq.
For Full Permit:
Applicant may be required to apply for and receive a full permit. In this case, the appropriate notices, permit applications and fees shall be submitted in accordance with the provisions of 9 VAC 20-81-450, 460, and 480.