Who Must Apply
Any owner or operator of a sanitary landfill; construction, demolition and debris landfill; or an industrial landfill, public or private.
Subtitle D, RCRA
40 CFR Part 258 (for sanitary landfills)
Virginia Code § 10.1-1408.1
Virginia Administrative Code 9 VAC 20-81-400 through 9 VAC 20-81-600
Permit fees for all solid waste facilities are specified in 9 VAC 20-90-10 et seq.
Typical Requirements of a Permit
- Public and private facilities must conform to siting, design, operation, ground water monitoring, closure and post-closure requirements in the 9 VAC 20-81-120 through 9 VAC 20-81-260, as applicable.
- Submission of the Solid Waste Information and Assessment (SWIA) 50-25 Form in accordance with 9 VAC 20-81-80 by March 31st of each year. This form can be completed online.
- The facility is responsible for paying an annual fee to the Department of Environmental Quality by October 1st of each year in accordance with 9 VAC 20-90-115 and Table 4.1 of 9 VAC 20-90-130.
- Facilities must comply with the Financial Assurance Regulations for Solid Waste Facilities (9 VAC 20-70-10 et seq.).
- Contact DEQ Regional Office - Land Protection Program Manager.
- Submit to DEQ the notice of intent to apply for a permit and provide documentation required by 9 VAC 20-81-450.B.
- Submit DEQ Form PTA accompanied by the appropriate attachments to include a hydrogeologic and geotechnical study in accordance with the provisions of 9 VAC 20-81-450.C. and 460. This is known as Part A of the application.
- Upon receipt of approval or conditional approval of the Part A, submit DEQ Form PTB accompanied by the appropriate attachments to include the design, gas and ground water monitoring, closure and post-closure plans in accordance with the provisions of 9 VAC 20-81-450.D. and 470. This is known as the Part B application.
- Submit appropriate Part A and Part B permit application fees of 9 VAC 20-90-120 and, if applicable, financial assurance documents.