Virginia Green Transportation Facilities is the newest Virginia Green sector. Airports, train stations, and bus terminals are the gateways to regional tourism, which is why they are integral part of the Virginia Green program! Transportation facilities have many opportunities to minimize their environmental impacts by making simple, common-sense changes, of which almost all can save money.
Virginia Green Transportation Facilities is a self-certifying program where facilities must verify that they are at a minimum practicing the Virginia Green Transportation Facility core activities by providing guests the following:
- Recycle Throughout Your Facility & On Your Vehicles: terminal/station must have highly-visible locations/containers that provide the opportunity for travelers and recycling must be provided on any vehicles owned and operated by your facility (ie, Amtrak trains or Trailways buses)
- Provide for Recycling on All Vehicles that Use Your Facility: must be willing to accept recyclables from all planes, trains, buses, etc. that use your facility
- Reduce Wastes: must be actively working to reduce its solid waste generation
- Conserve & Protect Water: must have a plan in place and have taken steps toward reducing its water use and for ensuring that you do not contaminate surface and ground water
- Use Energy Efficiently: must have a plan in place and have taken steps toward reducing its energy use
- Promote Virginia Green: must post the Virginia Green logo and encourage tourists to consider Virginia Green participants in the region
Guests traveling from or to Virginia Green Transportation Facilities can expect that the facility has at least these core activities in place. Participants are encouraged to tell us about any other green activities they have undertaken and these are included in the facility's profile, which appears on our website. Consumers can then choose to use facilities that offer the green amenities they value.
How to Join
Joining is easy. Membership in the program is FREE. Simply complete the Virginia Green Transportation application (MS Word or Adobe PDF) and email the completed checklist to VirginiaGreen@deq.virginia.gov. Once you are approved, we will send you a certificate for display at your facility and list your facility below. Your facility will also be included on the Virginia Tourism Corporation's website as a Virginia Green facility if you have a listing on Virginia.org.
The application is a checklist of common-sense, good ideas for you to consider. Please feel free to tell us about any other things you are doing to minimize your environmental impacts. The great thing is that almost every activity on the list has the potential to save your facility money.
Participating Transportation Facilities
Be the first Virginia Green Transportation Facility by completing the application above.