Virginia recognizes that competent, well-trained operating staff at wastewater treatment facilities is a critical component in its efforts to protect Virginia´s waters and improve the environment. It also recognizes that without a continuing supply of well-trained professionals, the maximum benefit from the public and private investments in treatment facilities will not be achieved. In recognition of this need, DEQ has maintained an operator training and assistance program since 1973.
The operator training and assistance program, located in the DEQ Water Division, provides training and assistance to Virginia´s localities, industries, businesses, schools and others to ensure wastewater treatment facilities are operated efficiently by competent personnel to achieve compliance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
The operator training and assistance program strives to achieve its mission by:
- Developing and conducting specialized training for treatment professionals.
- Partnering with educational institutions to provide low-cost training opportunities for operator licensure candidates.
- Preparing low-cost training/reference materials on wastewater treatment and associated topics.
- Conducting comprehensive treatment system performance evaluations to identify factors causing non-compliance.
- Providing short- and long-term assistance and on-site training to aid the treatment system in correcting identified problems.
- Assisting managers in identification of system vulnerabilities and development of emergency response plans to deal with natural and man-made disasters.