The Sewage Collection and Treatment Regulations (SCAT) govern the design, construction and operation of sewerage systems and treatment works serving more than one residence or a non-residential sewage source. The goals of these regulations are:
- To ensure that the design, construction and operation of sewage collection systems and treatment works are consistent with public health and water quality objectives of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- To establish a basis for evaluating the design of sewage collection systems and treatment works.
- To assist the owner or the owner's authorized engineer in the preparation of an application, plans, specifications, reports and other data.
- To establish the minimum requirements and limiting factors utilized by the DEQ for a technical evaluation of plans and specifications required for construction of sewage collection systems and treatment works.
- To establish procedures which facilitate the expeditious technical evaluation of plans, specifications and other documents.
- To determine whether a Construction Permit for a sewerage system or treatment works should be issued.
- To determine whether a Certificate to Operate should be issued for a sewage collection system or treatment works.
If you would like to make a suggestion to change / update / modify the SCAT Regulations, email your suggestion to Jaimini (Jimmy) Desai, P.E. Be sure to include the section number of the Regulations.