Information about users
The DEQ Internet computer system automatically collects summary information about individuals who use this web site and what those individuals look at. DEQ's computer system uses industry-standard software to create summary statistics, which are used for such things as assessing what information is of most and least interest, determining technical design specifications, and identifying system performance or problem areas.Here is an example of the information automatically collected based on a standard request for a web document:126.96.36.199 -- [01/Sep/2000:00:00:14 -0500] "GET /info/homepage.html HTTP/1.1" 200 13365
- 188.8.131.52 -- This is the host name, or Internet provider address, associated with the user. Depending on the user's method of network connection, the host name may or may not identify a specific computer. Connections via many Internet service providers assign different IP addresses for each session, so the host name identifies only the service provider. The host name will identify a specific computer if that computer has a fixed IP address.
- [01/Sep/2000:00:00:014 -0500] -- This is the date and time of the request.
- "GET /info/homepage.html HTTP/1.1" -- This is the location of the requested file on the DEQ server.
- 200 -- This is the status code; 200 means the request was filled.
- 13365 -- This is the size of the requested file in bytes.
Requests for other types of documents use similar information. DEQ does not collect any other user-identifying information from the web use statistics.For site security purposes and to ensure that this service remains available to all users, the DEQ computer system employs industry-standard methods to monitor network traffic to identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information, or otherwise cause damage.No other attempts are made to identify individual users or their usage habits.
Other identifying information
Links to outside sites
DEQ provides links to many web sites that are not controlled, maintained or regulated by DEQ, or any organization affiliated with the Commonwealth of Virginia. DEQ is not responsible for the content of those web sites. Use of information obtained from those web sites is voluntary, and reliance on that information should be undertaken only after an independent review of its accuracy. Reference at those web sites to any specific commercial product, process or service by trade name, trademark or otherwise does not constitute or imply endorsement, recommendation or favoring by DEQ or any other state government agency.
Use of information outside DEQ
DEQ does not sell or rent information about web site users to any outside company or organization. DEQ does not reveal specific information about users or other personally identifiable data to unaffiliated third parties for their independent use, except if required to do so by the Virginia Freedom of Information Act or other law.